First, you’ve got your toe-dippers. You toe-dippers stand at the edge of the water and poke the tip of your toe in. No freakin’ way…it’s too cold. And what about bacteria or sea creatures that may be lurking? You wait to see if anyone else is going to swim with you. You wait to see if you’ll feel foolish. You wait… maybe you’ll be more comfortable next time you’re here.
Then, there are those who jump in.
YOU JUST JUMP! You go under and burst out with a shout that it’s COLD! But then you swim. Your body warms up. You get the hang of it. You see amazing fish. And you laugh – you laugh with your swimming, splashing friends. And you look at the toe dippers and don’t quite get why they choose to miss out.
Toe-dippers have some advantages:
As a toe-dipper, you get the temporary satisfaction of being safe.
Plus, you’ll never have to experience the paralyzing fear that happens when you’re about to quit your job, take that first step to commit to your business, or step onto the stage. Or the heart-thrumming vulnerability of writing a published article…or a book. Or even the heartbreak of losing a client or forgetting your lines.
But here’s the problem for you toe-dippers out there:
In all of this safety, you miss out on the biggest reward of all…
…who you become when you dance on the edges of your comfort zone.
We’ve all been both kinds of people. But let’s face it. Most people are scared to take even the slightest chance on themselves. They’ve been taught – by their environment, their families, or their teachers – not to trust their own ideas and dreams. They’ve been taught to play safe.
Risk is different for everyone. For some, it’s a simple action, like raising your prices. For others, it’s a big giant change, like starting a business or joining a mastermind, or ending a dead-end relationship.
Sometimes it’s not really a risk. It’s just an action. But since it’s not something you’re used to doing, it feels like a risk.
Here’s the thing.
The fear starts to fall away once you take the action.
So, if you’ve been toe-dipping, and teetering around the edges…
…I’m going to remind you, that waiting will never get you there.
If you’re reading this, you probably know you need to stop waiting.
And, YOU know when it’s time.
So, how do you know?
Sometimes, you just know. Sometimes you can only sense it. But if you’re nervous as hell, you’re often on the right track!
Here’s my list of 10 clues that’s it’s definitely time to jump in:
1. You’ve said, “…at least I have benefits” more than once in the last month.
2. You think to yourself, “I need to just learn to surrender to this place and be present and grateful.” And a few seconds later, you think, “Don’t I?”
3. You’re waiting to be discovered, rather than committing to discovering yourself.
4. You’ve recognized that you can’t do it alone. But you still keep doing it alone.
5. You’ve thought, “Maybe I’m not genetically engineered to succeed.”
6. You’ve used any of the following words or phrases when referring to yourself: “Stuck.” “Can’t.” “Shouldn’t.” “Should.” Or “This is just how I am.”
7. You’ve used any of the following words or phrases when referring to your situation: “Wish.” “Yeah, but” “Benefits.” Or “This is just how it is.”
8. You worry about upsetting your spouse.
9. You worry about upsetting your friends.
10. You’re waiting until you’re sure you can do it perfectly.
Okay, throw your comments my way! Which of these things have you ever said to yourself – and how did you or will you be DONE with it, and start taking a chance on yourself by making a decision and taking action???
(And YES, I have opened up enrollment in my Uplevel Academy masterminds. If you’re ready to stop dipping your toe in…join me. We start in July. Click here to find out more!)
If you've ever believed it was impossible to be totally authentic AND make lots of money in your business - then you're not alone. Purposeful entrepreneurs want it REAL - and I promise to deliver! Get my FREE VIDEO, and I will walk you step-by-step through my own Uplevel Fast Track Formula for making money... on your own terms and in your own way. Enter your email and let's get started!