There are two kinds of people.
First, you’ve got the toe-dippers.
These are the ones who stand at the edge of the water. The tip of their toe tells them it’s too cold. They wait to see if there might be weird fish in this lake. They wait to see if anyone else is going to swim with them. They wait to see if they’ll feel foolish. They wait to see if they might feel more comfortable someday in the future.
And there are those who jump in.
These are the ones who go under and burst out with a shout that it’s freakin’ COLD! But then, they swim. Their body warms up. They get the hang of it. They see amazing fish. They laugh with their swimming, splashing friends.
Toe-dippers get the temporary satisfaction of being safe. True, they’ll never have to experience the paralyzing fear that happens when you’re about to step on a stage or host your first event. Or the heart-thumping vulnerability of releasing a book. Or even the heartbreak of losing a great team member or client.
But they will also miss out on the greatest reward of all… who you become when you dance out on the edges of your comfort zone.
In our lives, we’ve all been both kinds of people. But let’s face it. Most people are scared to take even the slightest chance on themselves. They’ve been taught – by their environment, by their families, or by their teachers – not to trust their own ideas and dreams. They’ve been taught to play safe.
Risk is different for everyone. For some, it’s a simple action, like raising your prices. For others, it’s a big giant change, like starting a business or hiring a coach, or ending a dead-end relationship.
Sometimes it’s not really a risk. It’s just an action. But since it’s not something you’re used to doing, it feels like a risk.
Let me do something for you.
Let me take you by the shoulders right now.
Let me look you directly in the eyes and say:
If you’ve been waiting, stop it.
You know it’s time.
You simply know it’s time to take the chance or to take some action. You might not know it consciously, but you do know it DEEPLY.
Well, there are always clues.
So let’s do this.
It might be time to take a chance on yourself if…
• You’ve said, “…at least I have benefits” more than once in the last month.
• You’ve written “My job has benefits” in your gratitude journal more than 25 times in the past month.
• You think to yourself, “I need to just learn to surrender to this place and be present and grateful.” And a few seconds later, you think, “Don’t I?”
• You’re waiting to be discovered, rather than committing to discovering yourself.
• You check your email regularly to see if you’ve been discovered yet.
• You’ve convinced yourself that everyone who has their own business works 12 hour days and you most certainly don’t want that.
• There are more than three empty Ben & Jerry’s Cookie Dough Ice Cream containers in your trash this week.
• You envy the cast of Glee.
• You envy your cat.
• You envy. Ever.
• You’ve thought, “Maybe God (or the Universe) just doesn’t want me to succeed.”
• You watched “The Notebook” more than three times in the past month.
• You’ve used any of the following words or phrases when referring to yourself: “Stuck.” “Can’t.” “Shouldn’t.” “Should.” Or “This is just how I am.”
• You’ve used the following word when referring to anyone else: “Fault.”
• You’ve used any of the following words or phrases when referring to your situation: “Wish.” “Yeah, but” “Benefits.” Or “This is just how it is.”
• You sigh more than 8 times a day.
• You bit off your acrylic nails last week.
• You are sure that other people don’t experience fear.
• You worry about upsetting your parents.
• You worry about upsetting your friends.
• You worry about upsetting your spouse.
• You worry about upsetting the cashier at the grocery store.
• You’re waiting until you’re sure you can do it perfectly.
• You think “getting out of your comfort zone” means getting out of bed in the morning.
• You’ve said to yourself more than once, “Wow. I’d really love to work with Christine for a year in her Uplevel Academy, but…” 🙂
Hit me with your comments! Which of these things have you ever said to yourself – and how did you or will you break it and start taking a chance on yourself by making a decision and taking action???
(And YES, I have opened up enrollment in my Uplevel Academy masterminds. We start in July. Email my team at email@example.com to find out more!)